Monday, May 13, 2013

Happy Mother's Day (and Iowa Part 3)

Visiting with my mom lately can sometimes be a little heart-wrenching. It's difficult watching her become more and more dependent on others and frustrated at not being able to speak most of her thoughts. But I am grateful that she is not in any pain and I feel blessed by being able to spend time with her. With her dementia, I never know from day to day how she will be when I stop by to see her. Sometimes she can utter a few words, and other times, nothing, not even a smile. So I was also grateful when Jen, Amelia, & Nathan stopped by, that she was able to manage a few slight smiles and understood what was going on. (The red patch on her cheek was from treatment to a skin cancer and is much better now)











This is how I remember my mom. Well, maybe not with the hair that big, but that's the smile I miss! :)

 
Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: